Rights and Responsibilities
Student Rights and Responsibilities
What services do Georgia State students with a disability have the right to receive?
- Reasonable academic accommodations based on appropriate documentation.
- Equal access to an education.
- Equal and fair treatment.
- Confidentiality in all matters of your documentation and educational record.
What are the responsibilities of Georgia State students with a disability?
- Request academic accommodations in a timely manner relative to the semester that you plan to attend.
- Advocate for yourself.
- Provide appropriate documentation of your disability.
- Meet privately with faculty to discern how your academic accommodations will be facilitated.
University Rights and Responsibilities
The university has certain rights and responsibilities as well. These rights are executed primarily through Disability Services and by members of the faculty.
What rights does Disability Services have?
- Ask students to meet with staff members.
- Request documentation to substantiate validity of a disability.
What responsibilities does Disability Services have in order to ensure that students receive equal and fair treatment at Georgia State?
- Work with students in determining reasonable academic accommodations on a case by case basis.
- Teach self advocacy skills to students.
- Act as a mediator and advocate for students when appropriate.
- Maintain the confidentiality of students.
- Refer students to appropriate campus or community resources.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
What rights do faculty members have?
- Request verification of eligibility for academic accommodations.
- Consult with Disability Services regarding student academic accommodations when appropriate.
- Expect students with disabilities to meet the same academic standards as their peers.
What responsibilities do faculty members have?
- Meet with students confidentially to discuss their disability related needs and accommodations.
- Provide classroom materials in an alternative format when documentation supports the request.
- Consult with Disability Services to develop appropriate academic accommodations.