Rights and Responsibilities
Students Rights and Responsibilities
As a student with a disability attending Georgia State University, what services do I have the right to receive?
- Reasonable academic accommodations based on appropriate documentation.
- Equal access to an education.
- Equal and fair treatment.
- Confidentiality in all matters of your documentation and educational record.
As a student with a disability at Georgia State University, what are my responsibilities?
- Request academic accommodations in a timely manner relative to the semester that you plan to attend.
- Self Advocacy.
- Provide appropriate documentation of your disability.
- Meet privately with faculty to discern how your academic accommodations will be facilitated.
University Rights and Responsibilities
- The university has certain rights and responsibilities as well. These rights are executed primarily through Disability Services and by members of the faculty.
What rights does Disability Services have?
- They can ask students to meet with staff members.
- Request appropriate documentation of a disability.
What responsibilities does Disability Services have in order to ensure that I receive equal and fair treatment at Georgia State?
- Work with students in determining reasonable academic accommodations on a case-by-case basis.
- Teach advocacy skills to students.
- Act as a mediator and advocate for students when appropriate.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the student.
- Refer students to appropriate campus or community resources.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
What rights do faculty members have?
- Request verification of eligibility for academic accommodations.
- Consult with Disability Services regarding student academic accommodations when appropriate.
- Expect students with disabilities to meet the same academic standards as their peers.
What responsibilities do faculty members have?
- Meet with students confidentially to discuss their disability related needs and accommodations.
- Provide classroom materials in an alternative format when documentation supports the request.
- Consult with Disability Services to develop appropriate academic accommodations.