Rights & Responsibilities
Student Rights and Responsibilities
As a student with a disability at Georgia State, what services do I have the right to receive?
- Appropriate accommodations according to your disability based on documentation
- Equal access to an education.
- Equal and fair treatment.
- Confidentiality in all matters of your documentation and educational record.
As a student with a disability at Georgia State, what are my responsibilities?
- Request accommodations in a timely manner for Office Disability Services (ODS).
- Be your own advocate.
- Provide documentation of your disability.
- Meet privately with faculty to discuss test or class accommodations in a timely manner.
University Rights and Responsibilities
The university has certain rights and responsibilities as well. These rights are executed primarily through ODS and by members of the faculty.
What rights does ODS have?
- They can ask students to meet with staff members.
- Request appropriate documentation of a disability.
What responsibilities does ODS have in order to ensure that I receive equal and fair treatment at Georgia State?
- Work with students in determining necessary accommodations on a case-by-case basis.
- Teach advocacy skills to students.
- Act as a mediator and advocate for students when appropriate.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the student.
- Refer students to appropriate campus or community resources.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
What rights do faculty members have?
- Request verification of eligibility for accommodations.
- Consult the ODS about students as appropriate.
- Expect students with disabilities to meet the same academic standards as their peers.
What responsibilities do faculty members have?
- Meet with students confidentially to discuss their disability related needs and accommodations.
- Provide classroom materials in an alternative format when documentation supports the request.
- Consult with ODS to develop appropriate accommodations.