The Office of Disability Services (ODS) will work with any student who has a disability to ensure meaningful access to the goods and services offered by GSU which includes the Brookhaven, Alpharetta Centers and online courses. To achieve this goal, academic accommodations are often made on behalf of the student. The Academic and Student Affairs Handbook can be reviewed under the University System of Georgia; referral to 3.11 Student with Learning Disorders policy.
The decision of what auxiliary aids and services a student receives is made on an individual basis. To be eligible for these aids and services, a student must bring appropriate documentation to an ODS service provider. Please refer to Documentation Guidelines for more information. Once appropriate documentation has been presented, appropriate auxiliary aides and services will be provided to ensure equal access to that individual student.
Testing services are provided for students with disabilities who need specific testing accommodations such as extended testing time, scribe services, distraction-reduced testing environment, Braille test conversion, and the use of adaptive technology or equipment.
New Student Services:
The procedure for registering with The Office of Disability Services (ODS) is outlined below.
- Please complete the accommodation and questionnaire forms: (Click on each link and print required documents)
- Appropriate documentation is necessary to determine your eligibility for services. A written report must be submitted by a qualified provider that is current and clearly states:
- diagnosis with specific evidence of a disability (Physical, Health, Learning, Psychological, etc.)
- symptoms of the disability
- test scores which support a cognitive or learning disability
- medications and any adverse side effects
- recommendations regarding necessary accommodations
- Follow-up with your health professional and with the disability office to ensure that your documentation was forwarded to the our office correctly.
- If you do not have specific evidence evaluation documents and would like to have an evaluation completed, please review the information link below about the Regents Center for Learning Disorders, located at Georgia State University. Step by step instructions on completing an RCLD packet.
- Your documents may be mailed, faxed, scanned/ e-mailed back to the Office of Disability Services.
- After you have completed, signed, and submitted the above forms and provided the required specific evidence evaluation documents, you will be contacted by the ODS Intake/Testing Coordinator to assign you a ODS Service Provider. An appointment will be scheduled, so that you and your Counselor can collaborate your classroom accommodations.This process may take between 10 and 15 business days to arrange a convenient meet time for both you and your assigned counselor. Please ensure you put your contact information on the forms to avoid interruption in your appointment scheduling. Thank you!