Georgia State University recognizes its responsibility to accommodate students with disabilities. Sometimes this requires alternate test formats or the need for extended time, use of scribe, accessible technology, reader, etc. We also recognize our responsibility to uphold the academic integrity of the institution and ensuring test security. In order to accomplish both goals, students adhere to the following procedures.
- It is the student’s responsibility to present the Student Accommodation letter to his or her instructor along with the Request for Individualized Testing Accommodations Form (R.I.T.A).
- Student must return the signed and completed R.I.T.A to Disability Services no later than 5 days before the first exam date. R.I.T.A Forms will be accepted after the 5 day time limit, but it will be the student’s responsibility to make arrangements for delivery of the exam to Disability Services.
- Students are generally expected to take their exams on the same day and time as the class. However, if the need for extended time makes this impossible, the student and instructor must decide on a mutually agreeable test time.
- The Office of Disability Services is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Any temporary change in this schedule will be posted by the front door in advance.) Please schedule your exams so that they will be completed by closing time. Any exams unfinished by close of day will be picked up and returned to the instructor.
- Students must show up to take exam within 30 minutes of the scheduled time. After 30 minutes, Disability Services must receive written or verbal confirmation from instructor to allow students to take the exam. Otherwise the exam will be returned to the department.
- If a student is ill or for other reasons cannot take the test at the scheduled time he or she must notify Disability Services and the instructor. To reschedule, the student must contact the instructor and have them notify Disability Services of the rescheduled date or time.
- Students are not allowed to leave the test area once they have begun the exam unless either your disability requires it or your instructor gives written permission for you to do so. In either case, the exam must be split into parts and breaks can be taken only at the completion of each part. Once given the entire exam, students will not be allowed breaks. If a student leaves the test area the exam will be picked up and returned to the instructor.
- No pagers, smartphones, iPads or other electronics are allowed in the testing lab. Please leave them at home or in the lockers. (Disability Services is not responsible for articles lost or stolen the premises.)
- Unless necessitated by your disability, only water, in closed containers, will be allow in the testing room.
- It is the student’s responsibility to monitor the amount of time taken on exams. Should you exceed your allocated time, you instructor will be notified.
- No visiting is allowed during tests. This includes break times (when applicable).