How to Facilitate Testing Accommodations (Instructors)
- Respond to student’s requests for an office appointment in order to discuss accommodations with the student.
- Read and sign the Letter of Accommodation during your office appointment with the registered student as well as completing the Request for Individualized Testing Accommodation form (R.I.T.A) form.
- Return the completed R.I.T.A to the student. It is the student’s responsibility to return the form to the Office of Disability Services.
Disability Services must receive the R.I.T.A form no later than five business days prior to the first scheduled test date. Note: Submitting a Request for Individualized Testing Accommodation form does not guarantee testing accommodations at Disability Services. Testing accommodations at Disability Services are provided on a first come, first served basis.
Subsequent test dates may be added to the student’s testing schedule in writing (email, fax, etc.) directly from the instructor to Disability Services. We must receive information about the new dates no later than two business days prior to the new test date.
Send final exam dates and times in writing (email, fax, etc.) no later than two weeks prior to the last day of class.
If you have pop quizzes, please contact the Testing Coordinator, Donna Hardaway, to coordinate quizzes. Send the dates and times for pop quizzes in writing (email, fax, etc.) no later than two business days prior to the quiz date.
If circumstances require a cancellation or other change in a test schedule, this information must be submitted to Disability Services in writing or contact the Testing Coordinator, Donna Hardaway, to coordinate rescheduling the students makeup exam.
Sample Student Accommodation Syllabi Statement:
Students who wish to request accommodations for a disability may do so by registering with the Office of Disability Services. Students may only be accommodated upon issuance by the Office of Disability Services of a signed Accommodation Plan and are responsible for providing a copy of that plan to instructors of all classes in which an accommodation is sought.Disability Services Responsibilities
- Prepare Letters of Accommodation
- Schedule student tests, quizzes, and exams according to the submitted R.I.T.A forms on a first come, first served basis and as resources permit.
Facilitate pick up and delivery of tests and exams based upon written instructions from instructors on R.I.T.A forms.
- Maintain testing records.
- Providing reasonable accommodations in a timely manner. Noncompliance on the part of the student with the procedures stated above may result in delays in or denial of the provision of accommodations.